This easy one-pan healthy chicken and rice with spinach is a favorite dinner at our house currently! This healthy dinner is made with spinach, green onions, chicken and rice and it will leave you wanting more and more. It’s pretty quick, easy, simple and delicious!
One-Pan Healthy Chicken And Rice Recipe With Spinach
It might not feel like it, but nature is awakening and so are all the healthy greens – tasty, full of vitamins and super nutritious! I’ve been making this one-pan meal for a few weeks now and it’s becoming a favorite at our house. Even my picky grandson loves it and would have it without fussing around.
I usually cook it in the evening, when it’s dark, so you’ll have to excuse the pictures – I took them with the lights on. Promise it doesn’t affect the taste.
There are 5 main ingredients in this super tasty healthy rice dish:
- canned chickpeas
- spinach (nettle or other greens will work as well!)
- (lots of) green onions
Other than that you’ll need to add water, spices of choice, some shredded carrot (optional) salt and a good amount of oil of choice (my choice is olive oil!).
How To Make One-Pan Chicken And Rice
The process doesn’t involve too many steps and it’s quite simple. It’s basically putting a few things into a pan and cooking them together. I recommend, staying close while the dish is cooking, since you might need to be stirring and adding water every now and then to prevent the rice from burning.
- Cook the chicken and set aside.
- Use the same pan to saute the green onions.
- Add spinach, rice, canned chickpeas and water. Then cover with a lid. Don’t forget to add a good amount of salt.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the chicken on top and stir in.
That is it! Pretty simple, right?
- 2/3 cup white rice
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 3 cups spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Cook the chicken in the pan on both sides until golden brown.
- Use the same pan and saute the onions and garlic for 30s with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- At medium-high stir in the spinach, chickpeas, carrot and rice. Add salt and water to cover.
- Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the rice is ready, stirring and adding water if needed.
- Once the rice is done, add 1 tbsp olive oil and then salt to taste.
- Add the cooked chicken and stir it in. Cook for 3-4 more minutes and add salt and black pepper if needed.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 319Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 77mgSodium 349mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 35g