Get dinner ready and make these easy stuffed peppers – it should take you about 30 minutes. You can share this dish with your family or meal prep for the week!
Homemade Easy Stuffed Peppers
With these stuffed peppers we’re going back to my Bulgarian roots and making a classic dish from that region. Like most Balkan dishes, there’s no melted cheese involved, but a lot of flavors. It’s a classic and one of my favorites.
Ingredients For These Stuffed Peppers
Peppers. Choose red or green, pointed or bell peppers – it doesn’t really matter.
Ground Meat. Any type of ground meat will work in this recipe – beef, pork, turkey or even chicken.
Rice. Short grain, milk rice would be best here, but any type of rice or even bulgur will work well.
Onion, herbs and spices. We’re using oregano and bay leaves for the sauce and the onion in the meat and rice mixture.
Milk, butter and flour. The best part about these peppers is the sauce. It’s creamy and absolutely essential. And it’s made with butter, milk and flour.
- Make sure to mix the ground meat, onion and rice very well together.
- When cooking, the water should be covering the peppers at least half-way through.
- Stir the sauce, consistently at low heat. This is the only kinda difficult part about this dish: if you leave the sauce alone when cooking or cook it at high temperature it will form lumps and won’t be enjoyable. Therefore it’s very important to be stirring all the time at low temperature.
- Use a microwave to reheat any leftovers you have.
This is a meal you can definitely meal prep for the next 3 days, as these peppers keep well in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave. The recipe is for about 6 peppers and is perfect for dinner. You can also take it to work for lunch if you have a microwave there.
If you do make this recipe and enjoy it, please feel free to leave me your feedback in the comments below or comment on my Pinterest page – I’d love to hear from you!
Easy Stuffed Peppers
Homemade easy stuffed peppers recipe - tasty dinner idea that you share with your family or meal prep for the week!
- 450g/ 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup rice
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp mint
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 6 regular peppers
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Mix the ground meat with the spices, onion and rice.
- Fill the peppers with this mixture by removing the seeds.
- Put the peppers in water, covered almost completely in a large non-stick pan. Cook at medium-high heat and
- Add salt while cooking.
- Put the peppers aside on a plate and prepare the sauce. Whisk the flour with the leftover water from the pepper, add milk, oregano, bay leaves, butter and stir to make sure no lumps are left. Stir consistently at low heat until the sauce thickens. Alternatively you can use a hand blender to blend the ingredients for the sauce together for a smoother texture, but you'll still need to stir once you heat these inside the pan, otherwise lumps will form.
- Once the sauce is done, turn the heat off and bring back the peppers into the pan.
- Serve immediately!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 320Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 81mgSodium 124mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 24g