When I tell you that you will want to eat these vegetarian hummus wraps every day, I am not lying! Full of Mediterranean flavors, filling and just so satisfying, this is the perfect vegetarian lunch idea. Made with spiced chickpeas, fresh vegetables, herbs and my wonderful zucchini in garlic sauce, you’ll absolutely love the taste and how easily the hummus wrap recipe comes together.
You can meal prep most of the things for the healthy veggie hummus wraps – from the hummus, to the chickpeas, and the garlic sauce. You can even wash and chop some of the vegetables to assemble these wraps faster than light can travel.
Vegetarian Hummus Wraps That Everyone Will Love
This Mediterranean veggie wrap recipe is wholesome, high in plant protein plus super easy to make. You can have it for lunch at work or for dinner with your loved ones. The entire family will love it and you will not miss meat at all!
The wraps are:
- super flavorful
- very satisfying
- healthy and nutritious
- quick and easy to make
- pretty cheap
- good for meal prep too
Vegetarian Hummus Wraps Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make these delicious hummus wraps:
- hummus – either store-bought or make your favorite recipe (this is my favorite)
- spiced chickpeas – with cumin, chili powder, garlic and paprika
- zucchini in garlic sauce – this is an amazing appetizer made with zucchini and yogurt that I grew up eating and it’s a great addition to these wraps, it was sooo good!
- your favorite vegetables – I used bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions and basil! Spinach, arugula, roasted eggplant or cauliflower can be a great addition as well!
How To Make The Vegetarian Hummus Wraps For Lunch
If you’re organized, you can make these hummus veggie wraps easily in 30 minutes. Here’s what you will be doing:
- Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas. Then saute them with a little bit of olive oil, garlic, paprika, chili powder and cumin for about 5 minutes. The chickpeas should be completely coated with spices once they’re done.
- While you’re making the chickpeas, you can also saute the zucchini for the zucchini garlic sauce. Once they’re done, simply mix them with yogurt, garlic, salt and some olive oil.
- To prepare your own hummus, simply add chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and water to a blender or an immersion blender cup and blend until smooth. You’ll get the creamiest, most delicious hummus.
- Next, wash and chop the cucumber, pepper, tomatoes, scallions and basil. You can also add some spinach, arugula or lettuce to up the content of leafy greens.
- Start assembling the wraps by spreading 1-2 tbsp hummus over the lightly toasted tortilla. Then add chickpeas and the zucchini sauce. Finally put the vegetables in the middle of the tortilla.
- Wrap like a burrito or fold like a taco and enjoy immediately!
Please note that my tortillas were pretty small and I overfilled them, which lead to me not being able to fold like a burrito. Instead, I ate them like tacos and they were still AMAZING.
Healthy, High-Fiber and High-Protein
Even though the veggie wraps aren’t made with meat or fish, they are a pretty good source of protein. At 428 calories per serving, these hummus wraps provide 18 grams of protein. Enjoying one of these for lunch or dinner is also a great way to get in 13 grams of fiber, which covers about 50% of women’s daily requirement for fiber or 35-40% of the daily requirement for men.
More than macronutrients, these easy vegetarian wraps are filled with antioxidant-rich superfoods like tomatoes, basil, garlic and sweet peppers which can help keep you super healthy and slow down aging when enjoyed regularly.
Can You Eat These Hummus Wraps On The Go?
With some simple adjustments, you can enjoy these hummus wraps on the go as well. Here’s what you need to do:
- omit the tomatoes
- don’t use yogurt in the zucchini garlic sauce – only add zucchini, and the garlic
- use bigger tortillas to wrap like burritos and add the zucchini last
- wrap and keep in an airtight container
Wrapped like this the recipe can stay good for a few days in the fridge.
You Can Make These Hummus Wraps Fit Your Diet
If you have any dietary restrictions, these wraps are pretty easy to adjust. The hummus wrap recipe is naturally vegetarian, soy- and nut-free, but you can also make it:
- gluten-free by using gluten-free tortillas or pitas (that’s what I did!)
- dairy-free and vegan by leaving out the yogurt from the zucchini appetizer – just mix the zucchini with garlic, some herbs, and olive oil. Instead, you can also add some garlicky tahini sauce made with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and water.
How To Meal Prep These Wraps For A Quick Vegetarian Lunch
If you would like to meal prep these veggie hummus wraps for lunch, you can do so, when you:
- make the hummus
- prepare the zucchini in garlic sauce
- wash, pat dry and chop peppers, cucumbers, onions/scallions, basil
- use whole cherry tomatoes
- pack everything separately in airtight containers then refrigerate
- wrap as described in the recipe card below when it’s time to eat!
More Healthy Vegetarian Recipes
I hope you enjoy these delicious veggie wraps! For more tasty vegetarian recipes, check out the links below!
Vegetarian Hummus Wraps (Easy Lunch)
You will want to eat these tasty easy vegetarian hummus wraps every day! Made with spiced chickpeas, fresh vegetables, herbs and my wonderful zucchini in garlic sauce this is the best, healthy veggie hummus wrap recipe. Perfect vegetarian lunch idea and you can meal prep it too!
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 cup chickpeas, canned or cooked
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 cup basil, whole leaves
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 3 gluten free tortillas
- zucchini in garlic sauce
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and add them to a nonstick pan with a little bit of olive oil, the cumin, garlic, chili powder and paprika. Stir for about 5 minutes until the chickpeas are completely coated with the spices and lightly toasted.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, prepare also the zucchini for the zucchini garlic sauce as described in this recipe. When done mix with yogurt, garlic and salt.
- For the hummus, either use store-bought or make it by adding 1 cup of rinsed and drained chickpeas, 1 tbsp tahini, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt and 1-2 tbsp water to a blender (or an immersion blender cup). Blend until smooth! if too thick - add a bit more water (1 tbsp at a time). If not thick enough - add some more chickpeas.
- Wash and chop the cucumbers, tomatoes, pepper, scallions and basil to have ready to fill the wraps.
- Heat a tortilla for a few seconds on each side. Spread 1-2 tbsp hummus over the tortilla, add some chickpeas, then cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, scallions and basil. Add the zucchini in garlic sauce on top.
- Wrap like a burrito or hold like a taco and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 426Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 0mgSodium 568mgCarbohydrates 63gFiber 13gSugar 6gProtein 18g
This blog post was originally published in July 2022 and updated in November 2022.