This collection of must-cook healthy spinach recipes includes easy ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner that will turn you into a fan of the dark leafy green!
There are so many ways to use and cook a bag of fresh spinach. This mild-tasting green veggie is not only incredibly healthy, but it’s also super versatile. You can use it to make smoothies, quesadillas, muffins, soups, pasta…there are just so many dishes using spinach.
Here we’ll explore some of the best recipes for spinach and by the end, you’ll know cooking it can be super tasty. So much so that you will obsess over the green stuff. Now, while it sounds extreme, that’s actually a wonderful thing because spinach is extremely beneficial for you. It’s been proven that this dark leafy green can:
- Help prevent coronary heart disease, dementia and certain types of cancer due to the high levels of flavonoids it contains (source)
- Protect you against free radicals thanks to its carotenoids (source)
- Help with losing and maintaining weight as it is a low-calorie food (source)
- Protect your body from chronic inflammation (source)
- Improve eyesight, your skin, and blood pressure (source)
It goes without saying that Popeye’s go-to food also contains high levels of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals.
Beyond its health benefits, spinach is extremely versatile, as you’ll find out yourself in mere seconds. Just take a look at these amazing recipes with spinach and I’m sure you’ll be running to the store to buy at least 2 bags of the veggie, so you can cook it right away!
Healthy Breakfast Ideas For Spinach
Yes, you very much can start your day with a good dose of spinach and these breakfast ideas are proof it can be delicious too! We’ve got the obvious green smoothie, but also two hearty unexpected vegetarian spinach recipes that you can make for breakfast.
1. Breakfast Quesadilla. This is a very quick flavorful savory breakfast recipe that takes no more than 15 minutes to prepare. It’s SO good, you must make it! Some of the ingredients include spinach (obviously), eggs, tortillas and zucchini! If you’re in a hurry, you can make it and just put it in your lunch box for later, before you head out.
2. Green Breakfast Smoothie. This simple spinach smoothie is perfect for when you’re in a hurry, but still want to enjoy a filling and delicious breakfast. Calling for only 3 ingredients, you have no excuses not to make it. Grab your blender and do it!
3. Vegan Breakfast Toasts. These are super easy to prepare and involve almost no cooking. What does that mean? Minimal clean-up. Yay! The ingredients for this recipe include chickpeas, spinach and artichokes. And yes – you can make this spinach-based spread for the toast ahead of time for a quick meal prep breakfast. Super healthy and super tasty!
4. Tropical Green Smoothie. This is a super quick green spinach smoothie that will leave you feeling energized and ready to take on the day. Grab your spinach, freshly squeezed orange juice, kiwi, mango and some coconut cream and make it.
Grab And Go Spinach Recipes
Sometimes, you just need to prepare something to grab for work or school or university – whatever your busy situation. You want your meals to be healthy and homemade, but still can’t afford to spend so much time cooking every day. Well, no worries! Spinach to the rescue! These grab-and-go spinach recipes are easy to make ahead and perfect for those times.
5. Spinach Feta Muffins. To begin with, they’re super cute when they come out of the oven. It’s very gratifying when the food you cook comes out looking pretty – it makes you enjoy it more. Now as for taste – these spinach muffins are just unbeatable. They’re similar to the Greek spanakopita, but a bit healthier (there’s no phyllo dough – just oats). You can easily make them the evening before and pack for lunch, snacks or even breakfast – whenever you’re hungry.
6. Spinach Cakes. The main stars in this recipe are spinach and chickpeas. That’s how you already know it’s gonna be delicious. The supporting actors are whatever veggies you want – bell peppers, carrots, etc. You just need to mix them together and fry them – cooking spinach has never been easier! These are perfect for lunch with some salad too.
7. The Best Spinach Green Smoothie. I know another smoothie with spinach! Take this one on the go – it’s refreshing, super healthy and can serve as a pre- or post-workout drink.
8. Mediterranean Tuna Pie. This is a great recipe with spinach for people who prefer to prepare their meals beforehand and plan ahead for at least a few days. Packed with tuna, eggs and greens, it’s rich in protein and antioxidants, so it’s a win-win situation.
9. Vegan Spinach Falafels. Who doesn’t like falafels? Especially these! This recipe uses spinach instead of parsley. Result? Aromatic and mouthwatering falafels. You’ll make them once and keep making them again and again and again.
EASY & Quick Recipes For Spinach
If you’ve got a bag of spinach and only 10-15 minutes to cook, these are the recipes you need in your back pocket. (or saved in your phone or on your computer).
10. Sauteed Spinach. This is literally the easiest recipe to cook spinach. It’s super fast and never disappoints. All you need to do is add spinach, garlic and scallions to a pan with some olive oil, salt and spices you want. Sauté, stirring for about five minutes until the spinach has wilted a bit and you’re done! Serve as a side dish for meat or fish or even for breakfast with some scrambled eggs.
11. Salmon Tortilla Pizza. Got some spinach, leftover salmon and tortillas? Then, this is the perfect quick spinach recipe to make for the family (or yourself). It might be super fast, but it’s exquisite and after you try it you’ll become a fan faster than you’ve made it!
12. Spicy Shrimp And Quinoa. This is another quick recipe you can cook with spinach and it is abundant in flavor and textures. You’ll need some shrimp, zucchini and cooked quinoa in addition to the spinach to make it. It’s the perfect quick healthy dinner recipe!
13. Tuna And Quinoa Salad. Another way to pair quinoa and spinach! This salad is packed with protein, flavor and is a perfect option for a light lunch or dinner.
Spinach Recipes For Lunch OR Dinner
The following spinach recipes take a bit more time to cook (around 30 mins). That’s why they’re perfect for when you’ve come back from work or wherever it is you’ve been all day, you’re ready to unwind and treat yourself to a delicious homemade meal.
14. Red Lentil Spinach Soup. You can never go wrong with soup. For this nourishing, flavorful and cozy meal, you’ll need spinach, onions, red lentils and spices, one cooking pot and around 30 minutes.
15. Spinach Balls. Similar to the chickpea and spinach patties, this recipe is more spinach-based and is the perfect thing to enjoy during spring! Serve the balls with some garlicky yogurt sauce and a fresh salad for a full dinner!
16. Chicken And Rice With Spinach. This protein-packed variation of spinach and rice is a really good choice for people who enjoy going to the gym and are trying to put on muscle mass. But even if you aren’t and are looking for an easy family meal – this is it! Another plus of this recipe is that it all happens in one pan. It’s the little things in life, isn’t it?
17. Creamy Tortellini Recipe. Pasta is something life just isn’t worth without. And if you’re not convinced yet, you will be after you try this *amazing* creamy tortellini recipe with spinach and cheese.
18. Bulgur And Spinach Recipe. Bulgur is a great substitute for rice, as it’s more nutrient-dense than white rice and cooks super fast. It also goes unbelievably well with spinach, as you’ll see once you try this tasty vegan recipe.
More Easy Vegetable Recipes
And that’s it! Those were some of the best spinach recipes you can make that are easy to cook and truly delicious. Once you try some of them, the next time you see a bag of spinach, you’ll probably start salivating and wish to be cooking with it right away! Well, okay, maybe that’s just me. Now, to get this image off your mind, make sure to also check out these other healthy and easy vegetable recipes:
- 4 cups spinach, washed
- 2 scallions, thinly chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 4oz/110g feta cheese
- 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp quick oats
- 3 eggs
- 1 heaping tbsp yogurt
- 3 tbsp olive oil or 2 heaping tbsp butter, room temp
- Pinch of baking soda
- Saute the leeks and scallions with some olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add spinach and cover for 6-7 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Then stir without a lid for 2 more minutes and turn the heat off.
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F.
- Add eggs, olive oil, crumbled feta, yogurt, baking soda and oats to a bowl and blend using an immersion blender.
- Add in the cooked cooled-off spinach.
- Line a muffin pan with parchment paper muffin liners (other varieties can make releasing the baked muffins harder).
- Fill muffin cups with the mixture and bake for about 25 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Let cool off. If stuck to the pan - use a knife and carefully work your way around the edges to release the muffins. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 220Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 120mgSodium 340mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 10g