This easy sauteed asparagus recipe is the perfect vegan side dish! Made with just 5 ingredients, this amazing vegetable recipe is a must-try when high-protein and high-fiber asparagus is back in season!
You only need one pan, and around 10 minutes to prep this simple sauteed garlic asparagus recipe. Is your mouth watering yet? I mean the combination of the words garlic + asparagus can definitely do that to mine.
Prepared this way, pan-seared asparagus is a great addition to spring salads like this one, pasta or on the side with fish, chicken or even beef.
You’ll Love This Sauteed Asparagus Recipe
I mean, who doesn’t love delicious food that’s ready in less than 10 minutes and is rich in fiber and protein? This asparagus recipe is satiating, it’s healthy, it’s simple and so tasty.
Also, it keeps really well in the fridge for about 3-4 days. So if you want to make a bigger batch for the week and use it to make quick healthy meals like salads or power bowls featuring asparagus, don’t hesitate and just do it. And I promise Nike didn’t sponsor this blog post.
5 Ingredients For The Sauteed Asparagus
To make this easy sauteed asparagus recipe you’ll need:
- medium-sized asparagus stalks
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
And that’s it really. Get these ready, get your pan out and let’s get this vegetable recipe going!
Before we get to sauteeing asparagus, we want to trim the stalks first. The bottom of the asparagus is usually tough and not easy to eat. In some cases it’s actually impossible – trust me as someone who hates to throw out food, I’ve tried!
So, unfortunately, we need to get rid of the tough parts. So, grab a knife, your bundle of asparagus and cut out the thicker bottom part of it. Then discard it.
How To Saute Asparagus
Making sauteed asparagus is incredibly easy! All it takes is some chopping and well, sauteing. Here’s the step by step:
- Chop the asparagus stalks in thirds, and chop the garlic roughly.
- Add the asparagus and garlic to a pan, drizzle olive oil all over and salt and lots of pepper.
- Stir at medium-high for 3 minutes until coated with the black pepper.
- Stir again occasionally for about 3 more minutes and your asparagus will be done!
What To Serve Sauteed Asparagus With
This easy garlic sauteed asparagus recipe is perfect to go along with grilled fish, chicken, seafood, pasta, meat and really anything you’d usually serve for dinner.
Toppings For Sauteed Asparagus
If you do want to explore some different things with your cooked asparagus, you can try these options:
- add shaved Parmesan cheese while the vegetables are still hot in the pan to allow the cheese to melt a bit, so that the flavors combine
- pesto – whichever type of pesto you love, just add some on top
- Gorgonzola cheese…it’s a unique taste, but to me, this is a great addition to asparagus
- toasted sesame seeds and minced garlic – it’s super flavorful
This simple vegetable dish is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, nut-free, grain-free and egg-free.
A Healthy Side Dish
Asparagus is an extremely healthy vegetable since it’s nutrient-dense (especially vitamin A, C, K, folate and fiber) and low in calories. This delicious green vegetable is also rich in non-essential antioxidants called flavonoids like quercetin and kaempferol. Studies show these flavonoids can have anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and blood pressure-lowering properties.
So yes, this means, enjoying asparagus sauteed or cooked in other ways on a regular basis is good for your taste buds and your health!
More Vegetable Recipes:
Now that you know how to cook asparagus quickly and painlessly, maybe you want to try some other vegetables as well. Here are some other great vegetable recipes to start with:
- 18 Easy Cabbage Recipes You Have To Try
- How To Roast Peppers And How To Use Them
- Mediterranean Vegetable Salad
- 300g/10oz green asparagus
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Trim the tough bottom part of the asparagus stalks and discard.
- Wash asparagus and cut the stalks in thirds or halves - whichever size you prefer.
- Add to a pan with olive oil, garlic salt and lots of black pepper. Stir at medium-high for 3 minutes or until coated with the black pepper.
- Stir occasionally for 3-4 minutes and turn off heat.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 84Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 112mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 2g
Originally published in May 2022, last updated in May 2023.