This is a meatless easy Mediterranean recipe for potatoes and green beans that you can enjoy as a side or as the main dish. It’s simple, yet super tasty and comforting.
For even more flavor, I recommend serving this wonderful homemade vegetable dish with a garlicky yogurt sauce and some fresh salad. The garlic sauce especially, really brings it over the top.
With only two main super simple ingredients – potatoes and green beans – you will be able to make the perfect hearty and filling meatless dinner that will appeal to everyone around the table.
Why You’ll Love The Potatoes And Green Beans
- They are both quick and easy to make and you need less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Moreover, they are super flavorful and taste delicious while the leafy greens add a note of freshness.
- The meal is really healthy as well. The recipe calls for only simple but all-natural, good-for-you ingredients.
- The dinner recipe is plant-based and can be served in a variety of ways.
Potatoes and Green Beans Ingredients
To make this easy vegetable recipe you need simple whole food ingredients:
Green Beans. It’s best to use frozen green beans for this recipe because they will cook more quickly compared to fresh ones. However, their nutritional value will not be affected and they will still be a good source of folate, and potassium as well as vitamins C, A, and K.
Potatoes. The second main ingredient that you need to cut into small cubes. They will add a slightly sweet, mild taste to the dish as well as loads of nutrients, such as fiber, vitamins, and potassium.
Green Onions And Garlic. These are two unskippable ingredients because they provide a lot of flavor and are a must-have in this vegetarian Mediterranean recipe.
Chopped Greens. Although optional, leafy greens are an excellent addition to the vegetable skillet because they will add more freshness and nutrition to this dish!
Tomato Paste And Spices. To make the sauce for the vegetable stew, we’re relying on tomato paste and spices to bring the whole thing together!
How To Make Potatoes And Green Beans
I will bet there can’t be many things simpler than making this easy dish. Because all you need to do is chop the ingredients put them together, cook and in 20 minutes you get to eat. Super simple.
Here’s a more detailed to-do list:
- Firstly, add all the ingredients to a pan and then pour in water or vegetable stock. If using water you’ll need to add salt as well.
- Then, cover the pan with a lid and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. If needed at any point – add some exra water or stock (I didn’t have to do it!)
- Once ready, remove the meal from the stove and serve while hot. Enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers
If you have cooked more potatoes and green beans than you could eat, then you can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
3-Minute Yogurt Garlic Sauce
Now, as mentioned this dish is tasty, but to take it over the top, you need to make the yogurt garlic sauce. Here’s how:
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- Optionally: thinly chopped dill or parsley
Add these ingredients to a small bowl and mix well together. Then serve with the potatoes and green beans while they’re still hot.
For a dairy-free and vegan version, try this cashew garlic sauce.
How to Serve
This meatless Mediterranean recipe is quite versatile, since it’s simple. You can serve the dish as it is and topped with some fresh thinly chopped herbs like cilantro, parsley, dill or basil.
You can use this very meal to fill burritos or quesadillas, if you add the garlic sauce or some avocado they will be amazing!
My favorite way to serve the green beans and potatoes is, as I mentioned in the beginning, with a generous dollop of the yogurt garlic sauce I shared and some salad on the side. I usually make this salad, currently minus the avocado.
More Meatless Mediterranean Recipes:
I hope you enjoy this Mediterranean recipe for green beans and potatoes! If you enjoyed it, maybe you’ll like these meatless recipes as well:
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 3 potatoes, sliced in small cubes (or 6 small ones - abt 3 cups)
- 3 scallions/ 2 green onions and 1 green garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped greens
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1(2 tbsp paprika
- a dash of chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup filtered water or stock
Yogurt garlic sauce
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbsp thinly chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- Add everything to a pan and cover with a lid.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. If needed at any moment add a little bit of vegetable stock or water.
- While the recipe is cooking, make the yogurt garlic sauce by mixing the yogurt, garlic and salt. Add herbs if desired.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 342Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 7mgSodium 585mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 8gSugar 13gProtein 13g