Make this easy pesto chicken sandwich for lunch, it’s the perfect recipe to use up leftover chicken.
This pesto chicken sandwich recipe calls for only a few simple ingredients, it’s delicious and makes a pretty solid quick lunch idea.
If you love making and eating grilled cheese sandwiches, then this one with chicken is definitely for you! So, whenever it’s lunchtime and you’ve got the ingredients, give it a try – it’s super fast to make!
Why You’ll Love The PEsto Chicken Sandwich
This pesto chicken sandwich is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. Why? Well, because it’s:
- crazy delicious and flavorful
- rich in protein and veggies
- super easy to put together
- a good idea for lunch, dinner, or even breakfast
- a great way to use up leftovers!
Now that you’re super motivated to make it, let’s see what you’ll need!
Pesto Chicken Sandwich Ingredients
This easy chicken sandwich recipe requires just a handful of ingredients:
- Red pesto. I love red pesto! Contrary to green pesto, which is made with mostly basil, red pesto (native to Sicily) is made using sundried tomatoes, basil, garlic and olive oil. And of course some cheese and nuts. While it’s pretty calorie-dense, pesto is rich in provitamin A, healthy fats from the olives and nuts as well as phytochemicals from the vegetables. Plus, it’s SO good, especially in grilled cheese sandwiches!
- Shredded chicken. This simple lunch recipe will work with whatever type of leftover or cooked chicken you have – boiled, grilled, even rotisserie. Thighs or breast, they will both do well in the sandwich!
- Extra Basil and Garlic. Because, let’s be honest, even though there are some basil and garlic in the pesto already – you can never have enough of those!
- Cheese. I went for a combo of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and I must say – it was a great decision!
- Bread. Of course, we need some bread to make the pesto chicken sandwich! You can use whole grain, gluten-free, low-carb – whichever type of bread suits your dietary needs.
How to Make the Pesto Chicken Sandwich
Yes, I remember, I did promise you can make this pesto chicken sandwich pretty fast. So if you’re ready, grab your timer and make this easy sandwich with leftover chicken for lunch in the next 10 minutes! Here’s your to-do list:
Combine the shredded chicken with pesto and garlic in a bowl.
Then grab this mixture and spread it over a slice of bread.
Top with basil, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Spread pesto on another slice of bread and put that slice on the other to make the sandwich.
Heat and grease a nonstick pan, add the sandwich and press it down for a few seconds.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, slice in the middle and enjoy!
Stop the timer!!! The pesto and chicken grilled cheese sandwich is ready for lunch now. How long did it take? Around 10 minutes right?
How to Store
Well, this quick and easy lunch idea is not entirely suitable for meal prep, but you can still make the chicken filling ahead and keep it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Whenever you decide, make your sandwich in a few minutes. You could use the filling in wraps and quesadillas as well.
How to Customize the Recipe
Here are some delicious ways to customize this recipe:
- Add various vegetables like grilled zucchini or eggplant, spinach, kale, arugula and so forth. This is such an easy way to eat more vegetables and it’s so delicious too!
- Throw in some fresh herbs, jalapenos, olives or spices of choice to the chicken pesto mixture. A great herb that would taste wonderful here is dill!
- Try the recipe with green pesto! Or any kind of pesto for that matter. You can even make some pesto yourself if you’re feeling overly ambitious and love to spend time in the kitchen!
How To Serve The Sandwich
This pesto and chicken grilled cheese sandwich is best served hot!
I recommend a small side dish salad, because, well it’s pretty important to get those veggies in during the day! For example, you can make a simple lettuce-based salad or my easy everyday salad recipe, or even an avocado-based “salad” like guacamole.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
Well, I hope you make and love this easy recipe for pesto chicken sandwich – whether you make it for lunch or even dinner. And if you love sandwiches, as much as I do, you might want to try these other recipes as well:
Pesto Chicken Sandwich
This easy pesto chicken sandwich is the perfect recipe to make for lunch when you've got 10 minutes and want to use up some leftover chicken.
- 2 tbsp red pesto
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Combine the shredded chicken with pesto and garlic in a bowl. Then grab this mixture and spread it over a slice of bread.
- Top with basil, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread pesto on another slice of bread and put that slice on the other to make the sandwich.
- Heat and grease a nonstick pan, add the sandwich and press it down for a few seconds.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Slice in the middle and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 471Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 81mgSodium 703mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 32g