Summer without flies = The dream. Learn how to get rid of flies by making this easy DIY fly trap! You’ll need a plastic bottle and some bait ingredients for this useful DIY project.
How A Fly Trap Works
It works like any other trap. You put something inside of the trap (the bottle) that flies love. That’s the bait. The flies sense that it’s there and they fly inside of the bottle. They go to enjoy the bait but are unable to figure their way out of the bottle. So they stay trapped inside and eventually drown in the liquid bait.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED FOR Fly TRAP:
- an old plastic bottle
- a knife
- wire or string
- hole punch
- bait ingredients
INGREDIENTS FOR THE Fly TRAP BAIT
Flies will come inside of the trap for the bait that you put inside. And what do flies love? Like many of us they have quite the sweet tooth.
- old fruit (for example apple chunks or tomatoes)
- syrup (sugar mixed with water will work too!)
will make the perfect bait.
Other bait ingredients you can use for example are some raw meat or old wine.
HOW TO MAKE AN EASY Fly TRAP
- Cut a plastic bottle in 2. Use a knife to cut the top part of the bottle. You can also use scissors, here I used a utility knife.
- Prepare the bait. Use one or a combination of the ingredients listed for the bait. Add a little bit of vinegar to prevent bees from getting trapped too.
- Put the bait into the bottle.
- Funnel. Remove the bottle cap and flip the top part that you cut off over. Put it into the lower bottle part so that it leads to the bait, quite like a funnel. You can use some tape to keep both parts attached (you don’t need to, if you’re making a handle as well, see below).
- Once your fly trap is ready leave it at your window or outdoors, wherever you want flies to stay away from.
- Eventurally the bait will get used up and won’t work anymore. When that happens, either exchange the bait or make a new fly trap.
If you want to hang your fly trap:
- Add two holes. You can use a hole punch or а stitching awl to make two holes across from each other at the top of the trap. Make sure to make the holes where the cut out top and bottom part of the bottle meet, so that you don’t just hang the funnel without the base and the bait.
- Make a handle. For this, you can use wire or a string. Simply thread it through the holes to make a handle.
- Hang the trap wherever you need it!
I hope this fly trap helps you if you can’t seem to get rid of flies at home! Be sure to not leave food out and to have the window screens shut at all times!
You Might Also Like: How To Get Rid Of Wasps