Looking for some tasty easy healthy breakfast ideas to make this fall? Add this healthy pumpkin bread recipe with oats to your list of simple meal prep breakfast ideas. This easy pumpkin bread recipe will help you bake a delicious homemade moist pumpkin bread with chocolate chips from scratch! This gluten free pumpkin bread is flourless and refined sugar free.
Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe with Oats
Okay, I have a little confession. I may or may not have baked this one yesterday and eaten the entire thing with very little help. It’s gone. And I don’t even like pumpkin. But this pumpkin recipe? It’s super good and it’s so easy to make. You basically throw a bunch of ingredients into a bowl, mix them, bake and then you have delicious pumpkin bread waiting for you to be devoured.
This recipe is perfect for breakfast or a snack and is a great meal idea for your little ones too. It’s dairy free, flourless and gluten free (use gf oats).
The list is quite long, but not things you don’t have in your pantry or can’t easily find. Here are the most important ingredients:
- Oats. I used plain quick oats instead of flour. This time I left the oats whole and didn’t grind them at all. I found this gives more texture to the bread which I really love. Plus I don’t have to wash a hand blender after which is always great. Quick oats are the thinner type of rolled oats, so if using regular rolled oats your pumpkin bread will have more texture.
- Pumpkin puree. You can use store-bought or make your own. I boiled an entire pumpkin, pureed it, portioned it out and froze it to have for other recipes as well. However, I might end up using it all to make this bread every day. We’ll see.
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg & Vanilla for great flavor and deliciousness!
- Eggs. We need 2 eggs to keep this bread together.
- Honey is the secret to the sweetness of this recipe. You can also use maple syrup instead.
How To Make Healthy Pumpkin Bread From Scratch
This is a super easy recipe to make from scratch. It’s perfect if you’re a beginner, but you’ll love the simplicity even if you have more advanced cooking skills.
- Preheat your oven!
- Start by making the pumpkin puree. Chop a pumpkin, boil it in water, drain and then use a hand blender to puree. You can later portion this puree out and freeze it to make other recipes as well. I portioned it out in 1 cup portions.
- Add all wet ingredients to a bowl – eggs, milk, pumpkin, coconut oil, almond butter (I actually used hazelnut butter here, but almond will work too!) and mix them.
- Then pour in your dry ingredients – baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, oats and mix in as well.
- Chop up some chocolate or buy chocolate chips and add 1/2 to the batter.
- Pour the pumpkin bread mixture into a small pan (line it with parchment paper) and sprinkle more chocolate chunks on top.
- Ready to bake! Put in the oven and bake for around 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
And then it’s time to wait a little bit, let it cool off, slice and enjoy!
When it comes to this recipe, you can modify it and add your own twist in many ways. For example, I’d like to test these options next:
- add nuts and seeds on top and into the batter
- use cream cheese frosting on top and no chocolate chips in the bread
- try some dried fruit in it!
I hope you enjoy this simple healthy pumpkin bread recipe!
- 1 cup oats
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup milk of choice
- ⅔ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chunks
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Add wet ingredients to a bowl and mix them. Then add the oats, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix again.
- Add ½ of chocolate chunks to the mixture.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and pour the pumpkin bread mixture inside. Spread out and top with the rest of the chocolate chunks.
- Bake at 350F/180C for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting it into the bread.
- Slice and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 242Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 66mgSodium 185mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 4gSugar 17gProtein 6g