Wonder how to make couscous? It’s not just for salads! You can use couscous just like a tiny pasta in any pasta dish you want to make…For example in this absolutely delicious healthy and easy couscous recipe with garlic, tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese. You’ll need Israeli couscous, one pan and 6 ingredients to make it! This yummy healthy pasta cooks in around 20-30 minutes, is versatile and vegetarian – perfect weeknight dinner.
What Is Couscous?
Couscous is a tiny pasta made out of wheat traditionally used in North African cuisines like Morocco or Tunisia. You can use couscous in salads, cooked with vegetables as a side dish or you can make this recipe right here.
How To Make couscous with garlic, tomato & basil
- chop the tomatoes, wash basil and prepare the garlic
- cook the tomatoes in a non-stick pan to make a fresh tomato sauce
- add the couscous and cook it in the tomato sauce
- add the pesto and garlic
- stir in the mozzarella cheese letting it melt in the pan
- serve warm with fresh basil and Parmesan!
Only 6 ingredients
Couscous. This recipe is made with Israeli couscous and it took that couscous about 12 minutes to cook through in the tomato sauce.
Tomato. I used fresh tomatoes to make the sauce. You can also use canned or frozen tomatoes, you might a little longer to cook them.
Basil. We’re using basil in 2 forms: fresh to garnish in the end and as a green pesto. I hadn’t made my own pesto yet, but I had a store-bought jar in the fridge and it fit really great in this dish.
Garlic. Do not be afraid of using more than one garlic clove in this, the more the merrier. Well, 2 is all you need, but you can never have enough garlic in a meal like this one.
Mozzarella cheese. 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese never hurt anyone and it definitely is needed in this recipe.
Parmesan. Last, not least, but completely optional: some Parmesan to serve.
This couscous recipe is pretty simple and easy to customize to your own likings and needs. Here are some things you can add to this pasta to make it even more filling:
- seafood or fish
- vegetables like artichokes, zucchini, broccoli or asparagus
Make sure to add these ingredients already cooked or to cook them through alongside the couscous before adding the pesto and garlic.
Don’t Have Couscous?
If you don’t have couscous you can also make this recipe using macaroni, any type of pasta, rice or even quinoa. Make sure to always taste test your creations, as the cooking time will be different for most of these options.
Healthy One-Pan Couscous With Garlic, Tomatoes And Basil
Healthy one-pan couscous recipe with garlic, tomatoes and basil! This healthy pasta dish with is easy and absolutely delicious - perfect weeknight dinner!
- 1 1/3 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 Tbsp green pesto
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- Parmesan (optional)
- fresh basil leaves
- Chop the tomatoes, peel and mince garlic.
- Cook the tomatoes in a non-stick pan at medium-high heat, lid covered for 2 minutes. Press the tomatoes down, squeezing out their juice into the pan (making the tomato sauce).
- Add the couscous and 2 Tbsp water, reduce the heat to medium and cover with a lid, stirring occasionally, so that the couscous doesn't stick to the pan. Cook like this for 6-7 minutes until the couscous is almost done has soaked up some of the tomato sauce.
- Stir in the pesto and the minced garlic, cooking until the couscous is done completely.
- Stir in the mozzarella cheese, letting it melt inside the pan. If needed - add salt to taste (mine didn't need any!)
- Serve with fresh basil leaves and Parmesan on top!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 256Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 26mgSodium 272mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 12g
Please note that these numbers are estimates.