If you’re looking for a fresh easy salad recipe to make for your family or for yourself, you need to try this healthy chickpea, feta and chicken salad! This is a leftover chicken recipe and the perfect quick Mediterranean diet lunch idea for summer!
A Salad A Day
If you’re like me, you’ve probably promised yourself at least once in your life to have a salad a day. Salads are great. They’re usually low in calories and rich in antioxidants and essential macro and micro nutrients your body needs to stay healthy. Salads help you maintain a healthy weight and are great if you want to keep a healthy lifestyle.
Considering they don’t really take much effort, time, money and I actually like their taste it truly is a mystery to me why I don’t make and post salad recipes here more often. But, there’s always a start and this is a good one. It’s filling, and it’s fresh and delicious and it’s just a perfect balanced, healthy meal. So if you want to have a salad a day like me, make one like this one.
To make this easy chickpea and chicken salad you’ll need:
- Fresh vegetables. And use a variety here! We used lettuce, tomatoes, a big bunch of parsley and bell pepper
- Leftover chicken. We had some leftover rotisserie chicken, so I removed the bones and cut it into smaller pieces. Made the salad even more filling.
- Canned chickpeas. Always have a can of chickpeas at home! You can do so much with it, this salad is just the beginning.
- Feta cheese or whichever type of cheese you like. You could even use fresh mozzarella cheese, if you’re looking to keep your salt intake low.
- Olives. You can try Kalamata, green or black olives.
- Olive oil and lemon juice. With the feta cheese and olives in there, that’s the only dressing you need.
How To Make A Healthy Mediterranean Chicken And Chickpea Salad
This salad is beyond easy to make. You basically only need to prepare all your ingredients, put them together in a large bowl and mix. It’s really simple.
The things you’ll need to have ready are:
- Chop your vegetables. So lettuce, bell pepper, tomatoes, scallions, parsley.
- Rinse and drain your can of chickpeas really, really well.
- Cook your chicken or cut the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Add everything to a bowl, add salt and pepper, mix, eat. The circle of life.
How To Upgrade This Salad Even More
You could upgrade this salad in so many ways, these are two of my favorite healthy options:
- Add roasted or grilled vegetables. Some options that would fit really well in this Mediterranean-style salad are zucchini, red bell peppers, cauliflower or eggplant.
- Add toasted seeds or nuts. To add some crunch and additional flavor. Some toasted sesame, pumpkin or sunflower seeds or raw walnuts would fit well in this salad.
This salad is gluten free, grain free and nut-free, but if you can also make it dairy-free by leaving out the feta cheese or vegetarian by leaving out the chicken.
I hope you enjoy this simple salad recipe, if you do have questions let me know and if you’ve tried and enjoy this salad, please do me a favor and leave your review, it truly helps a lot! Thank you so much!
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup leftover chicken, in bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup olives
- 2 ½ tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ lemon, juice of
- 1 bunch parsley, thinly chopped
- Black pepper & Salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare all ingredients and put them into a bowl.
- Mix until combined and add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 419Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 74mgSodium 824mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 9gSugar 7gProtein 26g
You Might Also Like:
- Mediterranean Salmon Wraps Recipe
- Simple & Healthy Avocado Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 10-Minute Spicy Chicken & Feta Quesadilla