Make the best of cherry season and try these delicious healthy cherry recipes! The collection includes sweet cherry crumble, muffins as well as a nutritious cherry smoothie!
Cherries are one of the most wonderful juicy fruits that have a wonderful aroma, natural sweetness, amazing color, and a tempting shape. There are around 1200 types of cherries around the world and their season is usually from late May to July. That is the best time to buy, eat and use the fruit in healthy cherry recipes. Not only will you take advantage of that amazing flavor but their nutrient-dense content will have a beneficial effect on your overall health as well.
So, when cherries start falling from trees again and appearing in your local store, it’s time to turn them into yummy healthy cherry recipes like the ones below! Let’s get started!
10 Best Healthy Cherry Recipes
If you love apple crumble, then you’re likely to love this healthy recipe made with cherries as well! This tasty crumble is so versatile that you can serve it as breakfast, dessert, or just a quick snack on the go.
You will need only three ingredients to make this healthy, delicious, and refreshing cherry smoothie. For best results, use frozen bananas and frozen cherries and your healthy smoothie will taste like soft-serve ice cream!
If you need a refreshing dessert to cool you off in the middle of a scorching day, then you have just found what you are looking for. Freeze the cherries and bananas and then blend them with coconut milk. Decorate with dark chocolate shavings and then enjoy!
Cherries + chocolate = the dream! Hello, have you ever tried a slice of black forest cake? It’s pretty amazing. Almost as good as these healthier chocolate muffins! So if you are craving chocolate and wonder what to make with loads of cherries – this healthier recipe is the answer. The muffins are flourless, gluten-, and dairy-free, and you can easily meal prep them on the weekend.
If you are trying to sneak cherries into everything in order to use them up – try this healthy pancake recipe. After all, who doesn’t like pancakes? These oatmeal pancakes are so fluffy and delicious that you may need to cook them over and over again.
Need an energy booster in the middle of the day? Well, this recipe is one of the best healthy snacks and it contains only natural sugars and is also rich in fiber and healthy fats.
Another way to combine cherries and chocolate! This amazing oatmeal chocolate cake is easy to make, rich, and decadent. It can be a healthy chocolatey dessert or be served as a sweet breakfast as well.
If you are looking for easy cherry recipes for breakfast, then this one is certainly worth a try. Not only is it super healthy, but you’ll need just 5 minutes to put the overnight oats recipe together. Leave it in the fridge overnight and in the morning, treat yourself to a delicious breakfast that tastes like a dessert.
These chocolate cherry brownies are just as yummy as they sound. They are rich and fudgy and will certainly satisfy your sweet cravings.
Try this absolutely refreshing combination of coconut and cherries that is not only delicious but super healthy as well! This is one of those healthy cherry recipes that can easily be an exquisite dessert, exotic cocktail as well as a tasty snack.
How To Preserve Cherries
Now, I know, these cherry recipes look, sound and taste delicious. But you might be dealing with more cherries than you can eat right now. Well, you can preserve them and then you will be able to use them when they are not in season as well. Like a little reminder of summer. Here are three ways to preserve cherries for longer:
- Freezing the cherries. All you need to do here is pit the cherries, put them into a freezer bag and then transfer to the freezer. For more details check out the tutorial here.
- Make cherry jam. Homemade jam. Two words that just get your attention, right? Not only will you preserve the cherries for months, but you will have the perfect topping for your pancakes, breakfasts or desserts. If you choose to can the cherry jam, you can store it for about a year. Here’s a great recipe to try.
- Make cherry compote. Another option to preserve the cherries when you have lots of them is to make compote. Compote is basically a sweet chunky fruit sauce made with fruits and sugar. If you choose to freeze the compote, you can preserve it for about 6 months. Otherwise, it will last for about a week in the fridge. Here’s a great recipe to try.
More Healthy Fruit Recipes
Well, I truly hope you enjoy these amazing healthy cherry recipes if you do try them! If you’re looking for other fruit recipes, check out these recipes as well:
- ⅓ cup & 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp cacao
- 2/3 cups oats
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cherries, pitted
- 2 tbsp chocolate chunks
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Add all ingredients except chocolate chips and cherries to a bowl. Mix until well combined. Stir in the cherries.
- Line a small baking pan with parchment paper and spread the mixture inside.
- Top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting it into the cake.
- Let it cool off and enjoy or store in the fridge or freezer!
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 144Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 48mgSodium 184mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 4g