This is a recipe for a healthy breakfast burrito that is filled with eggs, avocado, cheese, vegetables and is delicious and easy to make whenever you’re in the mood for a healthy savory breakfast.
Originally I made this healthy recipe for breakfast burritos back in 2020, the year nobody wants to remember (or rather can’t remember). But, there were some good things that happened back then. Exhibit A: these burritos. They’re super filling, super tasty and so nutritious. It’s become a recipe I personally make regularly and many readers love it as well. I’m updating with some new images using smaller tortillas and no sausage. I hope you enjoy these!
Healthy Breakfast Burrito Recipe
The idea for this easy breakfast burrito came to me one day at noon when I was looking at the leftovers I had in the fridge. I saw a tortilla and it was decided – I’m gonna wrap everything I had in it and turn it into a delicious late breakfast (I don’t have big appetite in the morning, so for me this was my first meal for that day).
Healthy Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
You might not have the same leftovers as I did, but you might have some of them, so I encourage you to work with whatever you have…I bet the breakfast burritos will turn out delicious!
Here are the ingredients I used to make this delicious healthy breakfast:
- Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- Tomato paste and cream cheese mixed
I also used a little bit of a sausage I had leftover, but that is totally optional and didn’t affect the taste much – it was a very small amount.
How To Make A Breakfast Burrito
To make a breakfast burrito the first thing you do is prepare the eggs in a pan. I usually scramble them directly in the pan, without overcooking (you’re gonna cook them again anyway!)
Then I spread the cream cheese and tomato paste mixture over the tortilla. If it wasn’t for breakfast time I would add garlic to that mixture too – it’s super delicious.
Next, I start layering the ingredients until everything gets onto that tortilla. (Note that this recipe is for one big burrito in one big tortilla).
Finally, it’s time to wrap. And then the mystery of wrapping a burrito starts. I do it like this: take each of the 4 ends of the tortilla and fold until it’s all wrapped. Then I quickly toast the bread on the “folded” side and it “seals”, so that nothing comes out.
Now toast on both sides until golden brown, transfer to a cutting board and slice in 1/2. You’re ready.
More Healthy Recipes:
I hope you enjoy the healthy breakfast burritos, when you need a change – check out some of these ideas:
- 2 eggs
- 1 jalapeno, slices
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- 1/3 cup spinach (washed)
- 1/4 avocado, large
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 heaping tbsp mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- sausage (optional)
- tortilla, large
- Scramble the eggs lightly in a non-stick pan.
- Mix the tomato paste, 1 tsp olive oil, the cream cheese and garlic (optional) to form a creamy spread. Spread this over the tortilla. If desired cook a sausage as well. Tip: wipe the pan clean, so that you can use it to toast the burrito.
- Put all the rest of the ingredients in the tortilla, except olive oil and wrap the burrito.
- Toast on the folded side first at medium high heat with olive oil, so that the ends “seal”. Do this until golden brown, flip and toast on the other side as well.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice carefully in the middle. Serve immediately!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 400Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 219mgSodium 563mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 16g