Make this Mediterranean-inspired grilled vegetable feta sandwich, it’s the perfect quick lunch or dinner!
Now, to be fair, you will need the grill mostly to make the vegetables, but you can also try toasting the veggie sandwich on there once you’ve assembled it. The result is super flavorful and makes such a good satisfying lunch! It’s also the perfect quick and easy meal to use leftover roasted or grilled vegetables!
All you need for the recipe are veggies, cheese, and some fresh herbs. Put everything between two slices of bread and you’ll have the ultimate grilled veg feta sandwich that you can serve either as a filling lunch or dinner.
You’ll Love The Grilled Vegetable Feta Sandwich
- really simple and easy to make
- super delicious and flavorful
- good for your health because it is made with nutritious ingredients
- easily customizable so as to suit your taste and preferences
- rather cheap because you need only a few basic products
- great for both lunch and dinner.
Here are the basic ingredients you’ll want to have for this sandwich with feta and grilled vegetables!
- Grilled Vegetables. The main ingredient for the recipe is grilled veggies. You can use whatever you like or have in your fridge, such as eggplant, zucchini, carrot, bell peppers, onion, etc. The grilled veggies will give a wonderful flavor to your sandwich while adding a healthy portion of vitamins and minerals.
- Bread. You will also need two slices of bread. Feel free to choose between whole grain, gluten-free, high-protein, low-carb bread, depending on your preferences.
- Feta Cheese. Its salty, tangy taste pairs really well with herbs, garlic and vegetables (especially summer produce) and brings out their beautiful natural flavors.
- Greens. To elevate the flavor of the veggie sandwich, I highly recommend adding some fresh herbs, such as basil, mint, dill, or parsley and if available – some arugula or spinach. Not only do they have a wonderful aroma but are good for your health as well.
How to Make The Grilled Vegetable Feta Sandwich
I mean how easy do you think it is to make a grilled cheese sandwich with feta and vegetables? Spoiler: Very easy. Especially when you already have the vegetables cooked. If you don’t here’s what to do from scratch:
- Firstly, wash and slice the veggies of your choice. As mentioned, you can use zucchini, carrots, red bell peppers and eggplant. These are all great for the sandwich. Slice the vegetables and rub them with oil and salt. If desired you can also add in some dried herbs, but I went for simple.
- Now, you can either grill the vegetables or sear them in a pan on the stove. Whichever one is easier for you!
- Once ready, put the vegetables in a bowl and cover it with a lid. I recommend storing the eggplant separately as it does release some bitter sauce, which you’ll need to remove.
- Next, crumble the feta cheese with your fingers or use a fork to mash it. Add some minced garlic as well as fresh herbs and mix everything well together. You can even blend the mixture, but honestly, I didn’t want to wash up too many appliances.
- Then take one slice of bread and spread the feta mixture over it.
- Put the grilled veggies on top (make sure to remove the bitter liquid from the eggplant). Add a slice of fresh tomato and some arugula or more basil on top. Then put the other slice of bread on top.
- And finally, heat a pan with some olive oil and toast the veggie feta sandwich on both sides until golden brown.
- Cut in the middle and enjoy!
How To Meal Prep
If you want to meal prep the sandwich for the week ahead, then you can make the spread and grill the veggies in advance.
Then keep them in separate airtight containers in the fridge for up to three days. Once you have these you can assemble the feta sandwich in no time. You just need to toast it for a minute or two on each side before serving.
Now, if you can’t have some of the ingredients or you’d like some suggestions for serving the sandwich, here are options to explore:
- Vegan option. If you want to make this sandwich vegan, then you can easily do that by using tofu or some sort of vegan cheese instead of feta.
- With salad. Serve this tasty sandwich with a big fresh salad of your choice for a complete, healthy, and filling meal. You can make tomato cucumber salad or a mix of leafy greens, such as arugula, lettuce, and baby spinach.
- With sauce. In case you want to add more flavor and nutritional value to your grilled vegetable feta sandwich, then you can serve it with your favorite sauce. This could be a tomato-, mayo-, or yogurt-based one, depending on your taste. For the vegan option, you may try cashew or avocado sauce.
More Easy Sandwich And Wrap Recipes
I hope you enjoyed this easy and quick grilled vegetable feta sandwich recipe whenever you serve it! For more simple sandwich and wrap recipes, here are some ideas to check out:
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 1/2 cup of grilled vegetables of choice
- 1/2 cup feta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp thinly chopped fresh basil (or other herbs)
- 2 tbsp arugula, thinly chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tomato, sliced
- 4 slices bread
- Add the feta, garlic, basil, arugula and olive oil to a small bowl and mash with a fork, combining all the ingredients together.
- Scoop and spread onto a slice of bread, then place the grilled vegetables in a single layer on top, then layer with slices of tomato. Top with the other slice of bread.
- Grease a pan with some oil and toast the sandwich until golden brown on both sides.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 500Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 33mgSodium 989mgCarbohydrates 70gFiber 5gSugar 12gProtein 18g