If you’re looking for a delicious quick breakfast idea to start your day, you should try this simple and delicious egg, ham and cheese breakfast sandwich. This easy sandwich recipe will take you no more than 10 minutes to make and everyone at your breakfast table will love it!
It doesn’t get simpler than this! To make this tasty sandwich you’ll need some really basic ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Bread – whole grain or white bread will both work
Feel free to use your go-to products and to experiment if you want to add/omit some of the ingredients.
How To Make A REal Good Breakfast Sandwich
There isn’t much of a secret about it. I guess if there’s a secret, it’s that you grill it for a little bit after assembly. But let’s take it one step at a time:
- Step 1: Fry an egg. I always like to eat my eggs cooked through, so I fry my egg on one side, then flip and do the other side as well. Feel free to change this up. You can even do hard-boiled eggs if you have some.
- Step 2: Assemble. Start by layering the ingredients on one slice of the bread and finally top with the other slice of bread.
- Step 3: Toast. Toast the sandwich on each side in a heated pan or on the grill for a few minutes until golden brown both sides.
Slice in the middle and serve, optionally with your favorite sides.
What Goes Well With This Breakfast Sandwich
There are plenty of options here and ways to make this sandwich a healthier breakfast. Here are some things I like to usually serve my egg sandwich with:
- cherry tomatoes and cucumbers
- some ripe avocado
- herbs like basil or parsley
- sauteed greens with garlic, scallions and spices (love this one!) – kale and spinach would be my go-to for greens here
You can turn this sandwich into anything you want:
- make it vegetarian: simply leave out the ham and turn it into an egg grilled cheese sandwich
- add some pesto if you’d like
- spread some minced garlic over the bread for a different flavor
- add something spicy (I just found this Italian hot pepper spread and I’m obsessed with it, it will go really well here for a different flavor)
- add some freshness to it: add some basil, tomato and cucumber and make this sandwich a bit healthier
As you can see there are many ways to elevate this simple sandwich to have it any time of the day. It can be great for lunch as well. Let me know if you make this simple and tasty breakfast recipe!
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1oz/30g ham (abt. 1-2 slices)
- optional: black pepper / crushed red pepper flakes
- Add some olive oil to a pan and cook the the egg on both sides. *
- Assemble the sandwiches starting with the ham, egg, spices (optional), cheese and adding the other slice of bread on top.
- Toast in the same pan on both sides until golden brown and slice in the middle. Enjoy!
*You can cook your eggs, whichever way you prefer: hard-boiled and even scrambled will work as well (might be messier though!).
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 453Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 236mgSodium 869mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 26g