Got some leftover rice and want to make something for dessert or breakfast with it? This is the perfect kid-approved quick and easy rice pudding recipe made with cooked rice, milk and vanilla!
Rice pudding is a great easy breakfast or dessert idea for the cold months and you and your kids are going to love this creamy luscious breakfast with some cinnamon and some fresh fruit on top. Even just with cinnamon, it’s so good.
Easy Rice Pudding Ingredients
As I mentioned, these are the three ingredients needed to make your quick rice pudding:
- cooked rice – choose white shortgrain rice
- milk – I used whole milk, but some types of plant-based milks might work as well
How To Make Rice Pudding In No Time
When I was a child we used to call this recipe milk rice, because that’s basically what it is. I believe it’s still the name in many countries and it’s fairly easy to prepare when you have some cooked rice already.
- Add the rice, milk and vanilla to a saucepan at medium heat.
- Once the milk starts getting hot, reduce the heat to lower temperature. Stir continuously with a fork for 5-6 minutes, until almost all the milk is absorbed by the rice.
- Remove from heat, cover the pan with a lid and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Top with cinnamon and optionally butter and honey or some fresh fruit.
Can You Eat Rice Pudding Cold?
Come hot weather, you can enjoy this recipe cold too, it tastes in my opinion, even better. Simply cool off the pudding, then refrigerate in an airtight container and top with fresh berries when you want to eat it. It’s super refreshing and delicious!
If you want to make a big batch to have for the next 3-4 days:
- double the ingredients
- portion out the rice pudding into airtight containers (I like to use jars)
- if you want to have it warm: reheat in the microwave or on the stove with some milk or water (the rice absorbs quite a bit of the milk and it can get sticky).
- top with your favorite toppings when it’s time to eat!
The simpler the better! Don’t overthink it, something light, fresh with just the right amount of sweetness will fit perfectly here. Think berries, cherries, apples, pears or even cut up tangerines. These fruits are slightly acidic and this adds a nice flavor and contrast to the creamy rice pudding.
I hope you enjoy this delicious easy rice pudding!
More Easy Rice Recipes:
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- fresh fruit
- Add the rice, milk and vanilla to a saucepan and stir at low heat for 5-6 minutes until almost all the milk is absorbed.
- Cover with a lid and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Top with cinnamon and fruit of choice and enjoy!
For hot season: Optionally you can let the rice cool off and put it in the fridge for a ready-to-go breakfast. Top with fruit and nuts if desired.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 252Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 15mgSodium 88mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 3gSugar 18gProtein 9g