Got some leftover rice and want to make super creamy rice pudding for dessert or breakfast? Try this quick, tasty, kid-approved easy rice pudding recipe with cooked rice, milk and vanilla!
You Will Love This Easy Rice Pudding
When I was a child we used to call this rice dish – milk rice, because, well, that’s basically what it is. In fact, milk rice or rice with milk is actually the name for rice pudding in many countries.
If you’ve never made rice pudding before, do not be intimidated. Because it’s super easy to prepare, especially when you have cooked rice already. This is a great sweet rice recipe that can you can serve for breakfast or dessert. Hot or cold.
I just know, you and your kids are going to love how creamy and luscious this pudding tastes.
Make sure to top the rice with some cinnamon and fresh fruit. Even just with cinnamon, it’s so good.
Only 3 Ingredients
What makes this quick recipe for rice pudding different is that we’re using leftover rice. It really speeds up the cooking process and in my opinion, makes the final result even better, and creamier.
Here are the three super simple ingredients you will need:
- cooked rice – choose white short grain rice
- milk – I used whole milk, but some types of plant-based milk might work as well if you’re dairy-free
How To Make Rice Pudding With Leftover Rice
This is how to prepare creamy rice pudding the easy way:
- Add the rice, milk and vanilla to a saucepan at medium heat.
- Once the milk starts getting hot, reduce the heat to a lower temperature. Stir continuously with a fork for 5-6 minutes, until almost all the milk is absorbed by the rice.
- Remove from heat, cover the pan with a lid, and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Top the rice with cinnamon and optionally butter and honey or some fresh fruit.
Can You Eat Rice Pudding Cold?
Yes! You can enjoy this pudding cold during summer as well. Just put the cooled-off rice pudding into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least two hours. Top with fresh berries and enjoy.
I actually enjoy eating my pudding this way the most.
If you want to make a big batch to have for the next 3-4 days:
- double the ingredients
- portion out the pudding into airtight containers (I like to use jars)
- if you want to have it warm: reheat in the microwave or on the stove with some milk or water (the rice absorbs quite a bit of the milk and it can get sticky).
- top with your favorite toppings when it’s time to eat!
The simpler the better! Don’t overthink it, something light, and fresh with just the right amount of sweetness will fit perfectly here.
Think berries, cherries, apples, pears or even cut-up tangerines. These fruits are slightly acidic and this adds a nice flavor and contrast to the creamy rice pudding. Jam will make a great topping too!
More Easy Rice Recipes:
I hope you enjoy this delicious easy creamy rice pudding!
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- fresh fruit
- Add the rice, milk and vanilla to a saucepan and stir at low heat for 5-6 minutes until almost all the milk is absorbed.
- Cover with a lid and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Top with cinnamon and fruit of choice and enjoy!
For hot season: Optionally you can let the rice cool off and put it in the fridge for a ready-to-go breakfast. Top with fruit and nuts if desired.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 252Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 15mgSodium 88mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 3gSugar 18gProtein 9g
This recipe was originally published in December 2021 and updated in August 2022.