If you are looking for an easy mushroom recipe that you can serve either for lunch, dinner or as a side? Then this healthy rice and mushrooms skillet recipe is tailor-made for you.
This nutritious dish is really simple and it calls for only a few basic ingredients, including rice, vegetables and some herbs and spices. So, whenever you’ve got some mushrooms and don’t know how to cook them make this!
You’ll Love The Rice And Mushroom Recipe, As It’s
- really healthy, especially if you sneak in some cauliflower rice
- super simple and easy to make
- great as a lunch, dinner, or a side dish
- made with few basic ingredients that you most probably have in your kitchen
- vegetarian, can be customized and served as a vegan dish and it’s gluten-free
- last, but not least, it’s super flavorful and delicious
To make this simple healthy recipe for rice and mushrooms, you’ll need:
Mushrooms. You will need lots of sliced fresh mushrooms of your choice. They will add an irresistible flavor to your dish and are considered a good meat substitute in vegan and vegetarian recipes. They are also low in calories but high in vitamin D, phosphorus, and selenium.
Rice. Use arborio or another type of white rice you have. Arborio will yield a creamier consistency.
Cauliflower. Add more essential nutrients, such as fiber, vitamins C and K as well as the powerful phytochemical sulforaphane by simply thinly chopping some cauliflower and using it together with the white rice. This will also cut down on the carbs and calories.
Parmesan Cheese. Give a wonderful finish to your healthy mushrooms and rice recipe by adding some grated Parmesan cheese in the end.
Black Pepper Kernels. Black pepper is one of the most popular spices that can be used in a variety of dishes. It not only gives heat and depth of flavor to the dish but has anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting properties as well.
More Flavors. Elevate the flavor even further, by adding scallions, garlic, fresh thyme, and salt to taste.
How To Make The Healthy Rice And Mushrooms Recipe
Wash the mushrooms and slice them.
Also prepare the rest of the vegetables and herbs – scallions, thyme, garlic and cauliflower,
Add the olive oil to a pan and then heat the thinly sliced mushrooms. Stir them occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
Then, add in the thinly chopped or riced cauliflower together with the white rice. Mix everything well. After that, stir in the chopped scallions, fresh thyme, black pepper, and minced garlic. Mix again and then pour in the stock or water so as to cover the ingredients.
Add salt to taste, cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
Then reduce the heat and let the rice and mushrooms simmer for as long as 12-15 minutes. Or until the rice is tender.
Finally, in the last minutes add in the Parmesan cheese (optional) and enjoy!
How to Store The Rice and Mushrooms
If you cooked more rice and mushrooms, then you can easily store the leftovers in airtight containers in the fridge for a few days. You will then just need to reheat and enjoy.
How To Customize The Rice And Mushroom Recipe
Vegan Option. For this option just skip the grated Parmesan cheese in the end.
Low-Carb Option. For a low-carb version of the recipe, use more or only cauliflower rice instead of white rice.
Topping. To add more flavor, color and healthy nutrients to the rice and mushroom recipe, top with freshly chopped herbs of choice!
More Easy Mushroom Recipes
I really hope you enjoy the rice and mushrooms when you try the recipe! Keep it in your back pocket whenever you buy mushrooms! And if you enjoyed it, here are some other easy recipes using mushrooms that you can try:
- 3 cups slices mushrooms / about 400g
- 2 cups thinly chopped cauliflower or cauliflower rice
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 3 large scallions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1 tbsp black pepper kernels
- handful fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Wash the mushrooms and slice them. Also prepare the rest of the vegetables and herbs - scallions, thyme, garlic and cauliflower,
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a pan and then heat the thinly sliced mushrooms. Stir them occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, add the thinly chopped or riced cauliflower as well as the white rice. Mix everything well.
- After that, stir in the chopped scallions, fresh thyme, black pepper, and minced garlic. Mix again and then pour in the stock or water so as to cover the ingredients.
- Add salt to taste (this is very important, especially if using water!), cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat and let the rice and mushrooms simmer for as long as 12-15 minutes. Or until the rice is tender.
- Finally, in the last minutes stir in the grated Parmesan cheese (optional).
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 286Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 10mgSodium 497mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 9gSugar 7gProtein 12g