This healthy chocolate cake is flourless, made with simple ingredients and is perfect for dessert or even breakfast if you’re a chocolate lover!
The dream = chocolate for breakfast. It’s very much possible with this super easy healthy chocolate cake recipe. If you’re looking for some new sweet breakfast ideas or healthy chocolate desserts, put this gluten-free chocolate cake on your list.
Super delicious, this healthy cake is made without flour and is gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and rich in fiber.
In fact, it’s so good that I made it 3 times already (within 2 weeks) and cannot seem to get enough of it. Made it yesterday again. It’s the perfect, easy healthy chocolate cake and it’s perfect for meal prep too.
Easy Healthy Chocolate Cake Recipe
Don’t know how, but one day the thought of a chocolate cake for breakfast just got into my head and did not let me go. I tried to suppress it, because, well it’s summer and I really don’t want to turn on an oven…but then I gave in.
And here we are with this beautiful delicious healthy chocolate cake that is perfect for breakfast, for snack, for dessert… Whenever you feel it’s a good time for a wonderful chocolate cake.
This oatmeal chocolate cake is
- quick and easy
- a great make-ahead meal to eat on the go too
For this Healthy Chocolate Cake You’ll Need:
- gluten-free oats
- coconut sugar
- milk of choice
- baking soda
- chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- coconut oil
- shredded coconut
- a small baking pan
I admit, the list of ingredients isn’t that short, but these are all ingredients many of us already have at home.
How To Make a simple healthy Chocolate Cake
Making this healthy cake is ultra easy! You have about 5 minutes of active time and the rest is baking. During that active time here’s what you’ll do:
- Preheat oven
- Mix all ingredients except cherries and chocolate chips in a bowl
- Add cherries
- Pour mixture into a small baking pan
- Top with chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- Put the cake in the oven
- Take out of the oven after about 20 minutes
- Slice and enjoy!
It’s really easy and tastes so amazing.
This flourless chocolate cake is super versatile too:
- You can use any fruit you like with chocolate if you don’t have pitted cherries. I personally would love to try this recipe with some blackberries, strawberries, or even plums.
- Add in some nuts for more texture. I think the oats and coconut flakes give this gluten-free cake a great texture, but if you want the crunch – I highly recommend adding some walnuts, almonds or pecans.
- Top with melted chocolate. So when I made this cake yesterday I decided to pour some melted chocolate on top while it was still hot. OMG. Delicious. Simply add some chocolate chunks and the milk you choose to a bowl, microwave this for about 20-30 seconds and mix until you get melted chocolate. While the cake is still hot, make some holes all over using a fork. Pour the hot chocolate and spread it all over the cake. Then eat while it’s still warm (but not hot!). Then let me know what you think.
- Use a different type of sugar, a sweetener like stevia or maple syrup. I used coconut sugar, because it is supposed to be healthier and to have a lower glycemic index (although there are different claims about this).
Meal Prep and Storing:
This flourless chocolate cake recipe is perfect for meal prep! It stores well in the fridge and would last between 3-5 days (never made it this long though!). After you bake, simply let it cool off, cut in pieces and put in an airtight container in the fridge.
More Healthy Dessert Recipes
I truly hope you enjoy this simple healthy chocolate cake without flour or gluten! If you’re always looking for healthier dessert ideas, check these out:
- Amazing Oatmeal Almond Butter Blondies
- Easy Black Bean Brownies
- 15-Minute Healthy Peach Crumble Recipe
- ⅓ cup & 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp cacao
- 2/3 cups oats
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cherries, pitted
- 2 tbsp chocolate chunks
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Add all ingredients except chocolate chips and cherries to a bowl. Mix until well combined. Stir in the cherries.
- Line a small baking pan with parchment paper and spread the mixture inside.
- Top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting it into the cake.
- Let it cool off and enjoy or store in the fridge or freezer!
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 145Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 48mgSodium 185mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 4g
Originally published in September 2020, this recipe was last updated in December 2022.