I’ve been making this basic oatmeal recipe this way for over two years now and it’s a family favorite. It’s super creamy, super comforting and SO delicious. The most wonderful kid-friendly breakfast idea.
Oatmeal is the perfect simple meal to make for breakfast during cold weather seasons like fall and winter (although spring can be pretty stormy too!).
If you’re a beginner and don’t know how to make oatmeal at all – start here, it’s super easy. This is the tastiest, the best oatmeal recipe ever and you have to try it.
You’ll Love This Easy Basic Oatmeal Recipe
I think this is my first time ever sharing a recipe for oatmeal and it’s pretty much the only one I make. It really reminds me of my childhood, when we made something similar with old bread and milk. It doesn’t sound mouthwatering, but it was honestly amazing. And so is this recipe.
You’ll love it, because it’s:
- creamy and comforting
- super delicious
- easy to prepare
- kid-friendly and picky-eater-approved
- a great way to incorporate oats into your diet
- a tasty and quick breakfast idea
Basic Oatmeal Ingredients
To make oatmeal for breakfast, you don’t need a lot. You really can go without fancy toppings. In my opinion, the simpler the better. So, to make this basic oatmeal recipe you’ll need:
- Oats. The perfect type of oats for this recipe is either quick or traditional old-fashioned oats. I usually use quick oats, or fine oats. Fine oats will yield creamier, thicker oatmeal, but for creaminess plus more chewiness – go for the old-fashioned.
- Milk. We usually make oatmeal for the kids, so we use regular milk. However, this recipe should work with plant-based milk too.
- Cinnamon. And this is optional, but I always love a hint of cinnamon in the oatmeal. If you like vanilla, you might want to try that one as well.
And that’s pretty much all you need to make your oatmeal in the morning. That and around 5-10 minutes. And a saucepan.
How To Make Oatmeal (Basic, Creamy Recipe)
So, what I believe I do a bit differently when it comes to making oatmeal for breakfast, is that I actually whisk the oats with the milk while they’re cooking. Stirring isn’t aggressive enough for me, I guess. The whisking is a game changer – you need to try it!
Now, let’s get to the steps, here’s how you make oatmeal:
Before you turn on the stove: add oats and milk to a saucepan and let the oats soak for 2-3 minutes
Add in the cinnamon, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat.
Whisk continuously using a fork for about 3-4 minutes. It doesn’t have to be aggressive or fast, but the whisking needs to be consistent. When the milk is completely absorbed – add more, so that the bottom of the saucepan doesn’t burn.
Keep whisking until all milk is absorbed and the oatmeal looks creamy. This can take about 2 minutes (although it will depend on the oats you use).
Your oatmeal is ready to serve now!
Delicious Oatmeal Toppings
Again, we’re keeping it simple here!
I find the best, most delicious topping for this warm and creamy oatmeal to be butter and honey. We do change it up, but it’s so amazing. I just have to mention it.
Honey and butter topping: Let a small piece of butter melt on top of the hot oatmeal, drizzle some honey and spread that with a spoon all over the oatmeal. You can also mix it in after the oatmeal is cooked. Then dig in. It’s not overly sweet, it’s simple, creamy and wonderful.
Now, for the healthier days, you might want to go for some of these toppings:
- blueberries, raspberries or chopped strawberries
- toasted almonds or pecans
- chopped banana or apple
You get it, basically fruit and nuts or seeds.
You can even try jelly with a little bit of butter. Or if you’re a fan – peanut butter.
But like I said – I highly recommend the butter and honey one. I know it’s not the healthiest option, but it’s just so irresistibly good.
More Easy Recipes With Oats
Well, I hope you learned how to make oatmeal and you enjoy this basic oatmeal recipe whenever you try it. And if you’re looking for other easy recipes with oats, make sure to check these out:
Basic Oatmeal Recipe (The Best!)
Learn how to make oatmeal and try this basic oatmeal recipe, it’s a family favorite and ready in about 10 minutes. It’s super creamy, super comforting and SO delicious. Top it with whatever you desire!
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp butter
- Before you start, let the oats soak in 1 cup of milk for 2-3 minutes in the saucepan where you'll cook them.
- Add in the cinnamon, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat.
- Whisk continuously for about 3-4 minutes and add the rest of the milk.
- Keep stirring until all milk is absorbed about 2 minutes (it will depend on the oats you use).
- Top with butter and honey spread all over and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 419Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 45mgSodium 207mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 5gSugar 27gProtein 16g